Articles prohibited to be carried as baggage
The following articles can neither be checked as baggage nor placed into baggage (either checked or carry-on baggage). Those articles may also not be taken into the cabin:
- Dangerous articles: Includes inflammable and explosive materials; oxidants; poisonous and infectious materials; radioactive materials; corrosive materials; magnetized materials; anaesthetics, especially provocative materials or materials of a similar nature; materials with the potential liability to damage and contaminate aircraft, etc.
- Guns, ammunition, BB guns; lighters in the shape of guns and other types of assault weapons and appliances, excluding sporting equipment.
- Army and police equipment.
- Restricted knives: daggers, bayonets, triangular knives (including those used in mechanics), flick knives and other cutting tools with single, double or triple blades, with the exception of those belonging to the minority ethnic groups.
- One shall not take into the passenger cabin living animals or fruits with awful odour or those that are likely to be disgusting to other passengers, such as durian, coconut, jackfruit, etc.
- Articles prohibited for transportation according to regulations of the country.
- Lighters and matches.
- Security briefcase, cash cases, cash bags and other safe devices holding lithium batteries, pyrotechnic devices and other hazardous articles.
- MACE tear gas, pepper spray and other devices that irritate or cause injury.
- Liquid oxygen device.
- Gun-shaped electronic powder fire extinguishers.
- Medical gaseous oxygen or air cylinders (use of such things by any sick passenger aboard a plane is subject to 72-hour application to the Company).
- Fuel batteries.
- Rescue backpack.
- Other articles we think unsuitable for transportation for the following reasons: hazard and danger of the articles, or weight, size, shape or nature, or considerations including but not limited to fragile or corrosive articles due to model of the plane.
Articles Restricted in Transportation
The following items are permitted to be transported only with consent of carrier and when they comply with the carriers' Conditions of Transportation:
- Precision instruments, electrical appliances such as video players, television sets and audio appliances, which shall be transported as cargo. If it is necessary to transport them as checked baggage, they must be packed with extreme care and are not included in the free baggage allowance.
- Sports equipment, including sporting guns and ammunition.
- Domesticated dogs, cats; assistive animals. Wild animals and animals that may be offensive to other passengers such as reptiles, including snakes, are not included in this item.
- Diplomatic pouches and confidential documents.
- Folding and electric wheelchairs used by passengers in flight.
- Sharp-edged and blunt tools except controlled knives should be placed into checked baggage for transportation, such as kitchen knives, table knives, fruit knives, craftwork knives, scalpels, scissors and pencil sharpeners, as well as steel files, iron wimbles, axes, short sticks, hammers, etc.
- Prohibited articles which are needed urgently within the scope of normal usage, can be carried along by passengers with supporting documentation, provided that they have little applicability for hijacking and little menace to aircraft security. For passengers who nurse patients with severe illnesses, they may bring a small quantity of medical articles and appliances such as alcoholic cotton upon advance approval of airports or Hainan Airlines.
- One shall not take to the passenger cabin fruits with awful odour or disgusting other passengers, such as durian, jackfruit, etc., which may be transported in the registered luggage.
- One shall not take to the passenger cabin ammunition under 1.4S (though safely and firmly packaged), camp cookers and fuel boxes holding flammable liquid, devices for safety and confidentiality as well as internal combustion engines and fuel-battery engines, which shall be transported by registration.
Limitations on Weight and Dimensions for Checked Baggage
Checked in baggage shall be packed, locked or tied securely, be able to bear certain pressure, can be safely loaded or unloaded under normal operations, and must be subject to the following rules:
- Travelling cases, bags and handbags shall be locked.
- Two or more bags cannot be tied together as one.
- Baggage cannot be inserted by other items.
- Bamboo basket, string bag, straw ropes, straw bags and other similar articles cannot be used as a package of baggage.
- Package with dangerous markings or tags cannot be used. The dangerous markings or tags shall be removed or covered before the package can be used.
- Baggage shall include the name, detailed address and phone number of the passenger.
- Sawdust, rice husk or grass items cannot be used as padding in the baggage.
Domestic flight: Baggage weighing over 50 kg and measuring over 40—60—100 cm (length — width — height) will not be accepted as checked baggage. Any baggage exceeding these limitations can be checked only with the consent of Hainan Airlines.
International flight: Weight of single piece of checked baggage cannot exceed 32 kg, the total dimensions of a single piece of checked baggage may not exceed 203 cm (80inches). If a piece is overweight or oversized, the passenger is advised to take it apart and repackage it. If the piece cannot be split up, please log on to http://www.hnacargo.com/Portal/Default.aspx and contact the cargo division of Hainan Airlines.
Safe Transport of Lithium Batteries
Welcome to Hainan Airlines!
According to the current effective ICAO technical rules for the safe air transport of dangerous goods, the transport regulations of lithium batteries in passengers' luggage are as follows:
- For personal electronic equipment (watch, calculator, camera, mobile phone, laptop computer and camcorder), the lithium content of the battery is ≤ 2g (lithium metal battery), and the rated energy value is ≤ 100wh (watt hour, lithium-ion battery), which can be transported as checked baggage or hand luggage. If the rated energy value of the battery in the equipment exceeds 100wh but does not exceed 160wh, the equipment can be transported as checked baggage or hand luggage with the approval of Hainan Airlines.
- Spare lithium batteries are not allowed to be consigned and can only be carried on the machine. The spare lithium batteries carrying on the machine should be individually protected against short circuit. The correct way is to put each battery into a small box or lithium battery transport package. The "power bank" is equivalent to the spare lithium battery. Passengers carrying the "power bank" on the plane should be transported according to the transport standard of the spare lithium battery. At the same time, it is forbidden to use the "power bank" to charge mobile phones or other electronic devices after carrying the "power bank" on the computer.
- If the lithium content of the spare lithium battery of the passenger's personal electronic equipment is ≤ 2G or the rated energy value is ≤ 100wh, it must be carried as hand luggage; if the lithium content of the spare lithium battery is less than 100wh and the rated energy value is ≤ 160wh, it must be approved by Hainan Airlines and carried on board as hand luggage with a limit of 2 pieces
- The wheelchair driven by lithium-ion battery or other similar walking tools carried by passengers, and the portable medical electronic devices containing lithium metal or lithium-ion battery cells or batteries carried by passengers for medical purposes and their backup batteries must be carried in accordance with the transportation and packaging requirements of the latest version of the technical rules for the safe air transport of dangerous goods and approved by Hainan Airlines. If the spare battery of portable electronic medical device is less than or equal to 160 wh or less than 8 g, it must be carried on the aircraft by hand with the approval of Hainan Airlines, and each person is limited to two batteries.
- After approval by Hainan Airlines, spare lithium batteries for electric wheelchairs or other walking tools must be carried on the aircraft by hand. If the rated energy value of batteries is less than or equal to 160wh, each person is limited to 2 batteries; if the rated energy value of batteries is less than or equal to 300wh, the battery is limited to 1 battery.
- Samsung Galaxy Note7 equipment, small lithium battery balance vehicle (such as type: unicycle, scooter, somatosensory vehicle, etc.) and related accessories are prohibited to be transported as hand luggage and checked baggage
- It is forbidden to transport confidential equipment such as insurance briefcase, cash box and cash bag containing lithium batteries and pyrotechnic devices.
Notice to Civil Aviation Passengers on the Regulations on Carrying Portable Phone Chargers
Thank you for choosing Hainan Airline! According to China Civil Aviation Administration requirements, the following provisions apply to passengers carrying portable phone chargers:
Portable phone chargers refer to mobile power sources for lithium batteries whose main function to provide an external power supply to mobile phones and other electronic devices. Under the currently valid ICAO Air Transport of Dangerous Goods Safety Technical Instructions and China Civil Aviation Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations, passengers carrying
portable phone chargers shall comply with the following provisions:
1. A portable phone charger carried by a passenger must be for personal use.
2. Portable phone chargers can only be carried in the carry-ons or with the passenger himself/herself. It is prohibited to carry them in checked baggage.
3. Portable phone chargers with rated energy not exceeding 100 Wh do not require the airline's approval; those with rated energy exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh must have airline approval before they can be carried; provided that each passenger may not carry more than two portable phone chargers.
4. Portable phone chargers with a rated energy exceeding 160 Wh are not allowed to be carried; portable phone chargers whose rated energy value is not marked and whose rated energy cannot be calculated through other marked parameters are not allowed to be carried.
5. Portable phone chargers should not be used during the flight to charge electronic devices. Portable phone chargers that have an on-off switch should be switched off from the beginning of the flight to its end.
Methods for determining the rated energy of portable phone chargers:
f the rated energy value of the portable phone charger is not directly marked in Wh (watt-hours), the portable phone charger’s rated energy can be calculated in the following manner:
1. If the nominal voltage (V) and the nominal capacity(Ah) of the portable phone charger are known, the rated energy value can be calculated:
Wh= V x Ah
The nominal voltage and nominal capacity are usually marked on the portable phone charger.
2. If the portable phone charger is only marked with mAh, this value can be divided by 1,000 to get the ampere hours (Ah) value.
Examples: If a portable phone charger has a nominal voltage of 3.7 V, and a nominal capacity of 760 mAh, its rated energy will be:
760 mAh÷1,000 = 0.76 Ah
3.7 V×0.76 Ah = 2.9 Wh